There are five basic components to all sloped roofing systems:
- Decking and Roof Structure: Rafters boards create a structure for sheet decking material to cover a house.
- Underlayment: a synthetic fiberglass layer of protection between your roofing shingles and roof deck.
- Roof Covering: Shingles, Tile, Slate and Metal protect the underlayment from the weather.
- Flashing: usually made from aluminum, flashings work to prevent water from entering through holes in the waterproof membrane and between shingles. Flashing is also installed along the eaves and rake (slanted portion) of the roof to help shed water away from the walls, and may be installed during wall construction as well.
- Ventilation: One of the most critical factors in roof system is proper ventilation. Without it, heat and moisture build up in an attic area and combine to cause rafters and sheathing to rot, shingles to buckle, and insulation to lose its effectiveness.
Choosing the Right Roof System and Style When choosing the right roof style for your home there are a number of items to consider. Cost and durability are important as well as aesthetics and architectural style.
Options to Consider
Asphalt roofing shingles are the most commonly used covering on residential properties. The primary purpose in roofing shingles is to serve as a waterproofing agent. Asphalt also holds the granules in place and adds to the overall strength of the roofing shingle. The best asphalt will stay flexible and will not dry out or become hard or brittle for the expected life of the roofing shingle. Dimensional Asphalt Roofing Shingles Dimensional shingles are manufactured as multi-layered products for a thicker and richer appearance on the roof, also referred to as “architectural” and are typically heavier in weight.
Premium Designer Asphalt Roofing Shingles
Premium asphalt roofing shingles are usually described as laminated shingles that have a differentiated appearance or functionality from traditional dimensional asphalt roofing shingles. These products provide an enhanced aesthetic appeal and are sometimes referred to as creating and “old world” look.
Slate is considered indestructible and is available in different colors and grades, depending on its origin. Its application requires special skill and experience. Many old homes, especially in the Northeast, still are protected by this long-lasting roofing material.
Metal panels are relatively lightweight, have a greater resistance to adverse weather and can be aesthetically pleasing.
Synthetic Tile & Slate Roofing Products
Synthetic Material offers superior durability and are manufactured with recycled rubber and plastics making them highly flexible, sustainable and environmentally friendly.
Before making a decision, it is recommended that you look at actual samples of a product you’re considering. Ask your representative for sample boards or visit our showroom.